Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cherry blossoms


This weekend was the peak of the cherry blossom season and the city is overrun by tourists. Metro has been so crowded that it's sometimes impossible to fit on a train. I had a hard enough time fitting into the stuffed car on the way to the grocery store this afternoon, but on the way home, with two large grocery bags, it was even harder.

The first train that came by was so crowded that everyone inside of it was practically hugging each other, so I waited for the next. The next train was the same. I thought about taking a cab to avoid the crowd but then decided against it and managed to squeeze through. I unwillingly became part of a human sandwich, smashed between two very tall men. We were so tightly crammed together I could have nearly lifted my feet from the ground and have been suspended in the mass.

Yesterday I went with Diana and three of her friends to the cherry blossom festival. There were vendors selling Japanese food and gifts and we ate lemon sorbetto out of tiny white take-out cartons.

We walked to the tidal basin where there is the best view of the cherry blossoms and the Jefferson Monument. It was really beautiful and the weather was perfect for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather

My name is Carlos, I'm from Tapachula, Chiapas Mexico, i think you are beautiful ;)...

Come to mexico ;) com to chiapas :D

God bless you...

Dou you speak spanish???